Friday, June 26, 2009

"We Are the World, We are the Children"


As I sit glued to the television watching Micheal Jackson videos (may he rest in peace). My thoughts and prayers go out to the entire Jackson family. He will truly be missed and we will never forget his awesome talent that he shared with the world. As I watch the videos from his childhood, I wonder if his life would have taken a different turn if he had a normal one.

I said that to say to all parents that read my blog, to let your children be children for as long as they can. Let them run and play with dolls and trucks, watch endless cartoons, laugh at the goofiest things and enjoy their youth. My 16 year old still gets a kick out of watching Sponge Bob. He knows every cartoon channel on cable television. I often look at him and ask, when are you going to grow up? Then I have to stop myself, take a long look and say to myself "let that kid be a kid". It's funny because some adults still haven't grown out of watching cartoons and that's okay. I'm simply saying enjoy your children while they are young.

I watched the movie "The Jackson's: An American Dream" and weep at the fact that Michael and his brothers did not have a chance to just hang out, play basketball, skate or swim with their friends. Michael seemed sad most of the time unless he was on stage. As a result he spent most of his adulthood trying to recapture what he missed as a child. This blog has just one simple message: Don't let your children grow up too fast.



2 comments:

  1. I dont wanna grow up cause maybe if I did, I couldn't be a TOYS-R-US kid...lol

    I agree with your philosphy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen...I believe wholeheartedly too that he spent his adulthood trying to recapture his youth. I think he was taught from the age of 5 (yes, i have been watching major MJ coverage today too) to please people at the expense of his happiness.

    He grew up trying to please his father, then his fans and never really himself.

    I feel for his children too. It bothers me that people are saying that those aren't his 3 kids. Those are indeed his kids, I feel for them too. The world as they know it has collapsed.

    ReplyDelete